History

Compiled from chapter records and notes, including work by former newsletter editor Nick Lung.

EAA Chapter 22 began in 1956, when a small group of local pilots and EAA members met in Frank Murray’s office at Cottonwood. Early charter members included names long associated with Rockford aviation, and the chapter quickly became a hub for builders, flyers, and volunteers.

By 1959, the chapter had reorganized, set dues, and formalized operations. Through the 1960s, members met in a variety of local spaces, published the Touch & Go newsletter, supported EAA convention activities in Rockford, and repeatedly ran successful aircraft-engine raffle efforts that helped support museum development.

Building Through Change (1960s–1980s)

The chapter weathered multiple transitions:

  • Frequent meeting-location changes
  • Long-running chapter aircraft projects (including the Corben Junior Ace)
  • Fundraising and raffle-rule changes
  • Rising operating costs and periodic financial pressure

Even during difficult years, members continued flying, building, hosting events, and mentoring new aviators.

Cottonwood and Long-Term Stability

In 1985, six Chapter 22 members helped purchase Cottonwood Airport and formed the Cottonwood Corporation to keep the airport open. That effort protected a grassroots airfield that had already served generations of local pilots.

In the years that followed, Chapter 22 and Cottonwood continued a close partnership. In 1993, the Rock River Valley Aviation Foundation was formed to own the chapter hangar, further strengthening the chapter’s long-term home and mission.

Legacy

From youth flights and pilot education to chapter events and mentorship, Chapter 22’s aviation programs have been sustained by dedicated volunteers who continue to turn passion into impact.

As we celebrate our 70th anniversary in 2026, that same spirit still defines EAA Chapter 22: community, hands-on aviation, and service to the next generation of flyers and builders.